Q's Personal Legend

"When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream," said the alchemist, echoing the words of the old king. The boy understood. Another person was there to help him toward his Personal Legend.

-- The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia

I teach Social Studies at a Georgia high school.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Where Am I? What Am I Doing Now?

It is hard to believe what all has happened in the last couple of weeks.

The week before last consisted of interviews. At the last minute we had to hire a new teacher. Plus, all the political mess that is a part of leadership. I dislike politics at work. I am not the type of person to play others against each other and I resent feeling as if I need to acquiesce to other people's politics. And, we wonder why good teachers get out of the system.

Last week I had Lasik. I can't even begin to describe how revolutionary this procedure has been in my life. I used to ask my husband if the alarm was set--I couldn't read the numbers. I was 20/800, now I am 20/15. This is awesome! I have to fight back the tears when I think about how different my life is now that I can see.

Monday began with meetings. I fail to understand why districts feel that they must fill every hour (well, maybe every hour but three) with meetings and inservices when there is still so much we have to do to prepare for students. I mean, isn't this the reason why we are in a classroom? ...to get ready for the students? I have lessons to prepare, desks to clean, files to organize... I hate to be a Bitter Betty--I just want to do my job.

I am struggling right now. I want to be positive, but I am just feeling overwhelmed.

2 Comments:

Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

It's good to see you back, even if you are feeling more than a little overwhelmed. Best advice I can give? Just do what you can and the rest will wait! As a friend of mine says, "Don't stress. Life happens."

8:02 AM  
Blogger elementaryhistoryteacher said...

I agree. After all I have been through this summer this is the first year I don't have every t crossed and every i dotted. I am actually feeling very calm about it, but of course, administrators haven't starting plowing through the classrooms either looking for this and that. ( I left a hint about my system over at my place where you commented last....)

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home